Thursday | Dec 21 2017
Did You Know? Aladdin Edition
By Micaela Cummings
Disney's Aladdin is almost here! Before you see it, brush up on a few fun facts about this new production!
Aladdin is the collaboration of a gold-standard Broadway creative team, winners of a cumulative 20 Tony Awards.
- Directed & Choreographed by Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon, Spamalot, The Drowsy Chaperone).
- Music by Tony Award, eight-time Academy Award and 11-time GRAMMY Award winner Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Newsies).
- Lyrics by two-time Academy Award and four-time GRAMMY Award winner Howard Ashman (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast) & three-time Tony Award, three-time Academy Award and five-time GRAMMY Award winner Tim Rice (Aida, The Lion King).
- Book & Additional Lyrics by four-time Tony Award nominee Chad Beguelin (The Wedding Singer).
- Scenic Design by seven-time Tony Award winner Bob Crowley (Mary Poppins, Aida).
- Lighting Design by: six-time Tony Award winner Natasha Katz (Aida, Once).
- Costume Design by two-time Tony Award winner Gregg Barnes (The Drowsy Chaperone).
Alan Menken and Chad Beguelin
- An outstanding score including all five songs from the original animated film.
- Characters known and loved worldwide.
- First class creative team.
- Unparalleled stagecraft from Disney.
- Lush and spectacular scenic design by Bob Crowley.
- Subtle and sophisticated illusions executed to jaw-dropping effect.
About the Animated Film
- Aladdin was the highest-grossing film of 1992.
- It went on to win the Oscar for Best Original Score and introduced the hit song “A Whole New World,” which won the second of the film’s two Academy Awards® as Best Original Song. The Peabo Bryson/Regina Belle recording of the tune soared to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Friend Like Me Aladdin North American Tour. Photo by Deen van Meer.
- First performance February 26 and opening night March 20, 2014 at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
North American Tour
- First performance April 11 and opening night April 19, 2017 at The Cadillac Palace Theatre in Chicago.
North American Tour Costumes
- Aladdin’s exquisite costumes are designed by Tony®-winning costume designer Gregg Barnes. It took Barnes six hours to draw and paint one costume sketch.
- All costumes worn in Aladdin are custom made, by hand, especially for the show.
- 342 people in 26 different shops worked on the construction of the costumes for Aladdin.
- There are 2,039 different fabrics and trims used in the show’s costumes. Fabrics are from Morocco, Turkey, India, Uzbekistan, China, Tahiti, Japan, Guatemala, Mexico, France, Italy, England, and Germany.
- There are 337 costumes in the show, based on 134 individual designs.
- There are 161 custom made shoes in the show.
- 102 costume changes take place in less than 1 minute.
- 52 costume changes take place in less than 30 seconds.
- There are 8,644 Swarovski rhinestones on each man's gold finale costume in "Friend Like Me."
- Jasmine's wedding dress weighs 12 lbs because of all the crystal beading.
Prince Ali Aladdin North American Tour. Photo by Deen van Meer.
North American Tour Tech
- There are 84 special effects, including live pyrotechnics, in every show.
- There are over 111 moving lights and 173 conventional lights employed throughout the show.
- There are 38 tons of flying scenery, lighting and automated effects suspended from the grid in the North American tour.
- There are 53 different automated scenic effects in the touring production.
- It takes 75 people to deliver each performance of Aladdin on tour. This includes actors, stage crew, musicians, dressers, hairstylists and make-up artists.
Adam Jacobs (Aladdin) & Isavelle McCalla (Jasmine). Aladdin North American Tour. Photo by Deen van Meer.